Thursday, September 10, 2009

A FUN P-DAY

This is not the picture I intended to start my blog with, but here it is.  I had to put this in because this is how they lay many of their streets and sidewalks.  It is all done by hand laying each individual stone.   It looks like it would be back-breaking work as well as hard on the knees.  

The Germans have been working on a project like this right next to our house.  It has taken them two months to finish.  They begin bright and early each morning around 6:00 am and they have all kinds of equipment, trucks hauling sand, stone, dirt whatever.  We hear them going tap, tap, tap on each stone.   We will be very glad to have them finish their project.


This is the beautiful Danube River which runs through Regensburg.  We rode the train there along with Elder Aubrey and Elder Harrison to see the sights.  It was a beautiful day for a stroll through the city.  We loved this city maybe even better than Rothenburg. There was just something about it that was so beautiful.
 
This old stone bridge was built back in the 9th century.  It is still amazing to me how something could be built to last so long.  It is great that they preserved these old buildings and sites.  It seems like people like to tear down the old and build something modern in its place.


I had to at least stick my toe in the Danube River.

Of course, one of the highlights in Germany is their bratwurst.  Brian and the Elders had a bratwurst with sauerkraut on a bun, and said it was delicious.  I passed it up waiting for ice cream!  They have great ice as they call it.

How would you like to cook bratwurst all day?  This place is evidently very famous  as it was packed with people.
Elder Aubrey, Elder Toolson and Elder Harrison.  We dressed casual for the day as you can see.


The church in the background is the best representative of the Gothic style in all of Bavaria.  It is very impressive. There are so many wonderful churches to see.


A view inside the church.  Sorry, I forgot to rotate this picture.  It had some lovely windows as you can see a little of them in the background.


A front view of the church.

I have so many other pictures, but you have seen cute buildings, narrow streets, etc so they all probably start looking alike to you.  Each city, however, has its unique aspects

4 comments:

Unknown said...

what another fun day for you!

Bronte said...

I guess watching them build your street, one brick at a time, it is easier to understand how the old bridges and buildings have continued to survive. The church is magnificent; I hope we get to see all of the towns you are blogging about when we come visit!
And I just have to say, I bet the elders love having you guys to tag around with. Everyone looks so happy in the photos.

Bronte said...

oops, the previous comment was left by me (Shannon). I didn't realize that B hadn't signed out.

Shareen said...

Maybe all that German industry is not so impressive when it's right outside your window at 6 am? I love seeing your pictures.