Saturday, September 26, 2009

A DAY FOR SERVICE

Thursday I fixed lunch and Elder T. and I headed to Rachelle Durtschi to share lunch with her.  We get together every Thursday.  We were joined by Elders Harrison and Aubrey.  After soup and salad, we headed outside to get some yard work done.  

The Elders were in charge of clearing out the garden.

Elder T. was in charge of the riding lawn mower.

Look at that!  A job well done.

Thursday evening we went to help Sister Young pack up her house.  She has lived in this house for 10 years and had accumulated lots of stuff.  Her house was not like those homes on TV where you can't make a path through the room, but from the attic to the basement it was packed.  (Today, Saturday we were there again with a good group from the ward.  I believe it is about 90% done now.  The Elders were helping again today and we were charge of clearing out the attic.  They spent 3 hours just hauling stuff out of the attic.  Her new house is smaller, and I just wonder where she is going to put everything.  She didn't get rid of anything.  We packed up every pencil and paper clip.

I had to post this picture to show you how narrow some of the country roads are.  It is more like a bicycle path.  It is a bit scary going around a corner.  You never know if you will meet a farmer on a big tractor or a Mercedes going way too fast.  It makes for interesting driving.  That is our little car that we drive around.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

I am sure everyone in the ward there is so thankful to have you in their area! And that road does look more like a place to stroll or ride a bike than pass oncoming cars...

Unknown said...

so good to see all the service you are doing there! i know that you are doing a great job. i can't be happier that you are enjoying your time there so much!
but we do miss you here, too.. . .

Shareen said...

I'm glad you're finding so many useful things to be doing to help people out there. I don't think Mike would like sharing the road bike riding on those little paths - he thought riding down Roosevelt was too narrow!

Julia Kelly said...

Those roads look like our WV country roads. That riding lawn mower looks like fun!

becky said...

It would be interesting spending so much time just thinking about others needs and how you can help! I feel kind of selfish as I spend my days thinking of all the things I need to do for myself, kids, dogs, hubby or church calling. I guess they say for every season there is a time (or something like that) maybe one day my time will come when I can be more focused on others too!