Sunday, August 2, 2009

VOLKSFEST


Saturday afternoon we walked through the Volksfest.  They have this once a year on Post.  It is the one time German citizens can come on Post.  I think everyone in town came as it was very crowded.  Really it was just like any carnival--rides, games and food.  Although we saw some some different kinds of foods that we wouldn't see at home, but lots the same.
Shannon, I thought of you when I saw the baskets.  I could use one of my Longaberger baskets here.  Women use them to carry their groceries.  You must bring something to carry your groceries home-no plastic sacks here.  You can buy a larger heavier plastic bag at the shop to put stuff in.  You don't often see women coming out of the store with a big grocery cart full--only at the American commissary.

They had some very larger pretzels.
These fruit cups looked tempting.
A little German oop paa music.  Would any of you men like me to get you a pair of lederhosen?
They like their beer in big mugs.  I think these guys are smiling Americans.
They had some military vehicles on display.
And to end it all, a little treat.

Elder Toolson and I stood out like a sore thumb in missionary attire.  Everyone was in t-shirts and shorts.  Our attire and name tags do attract attention.  Several times people will come up to us and talk, and we find out that they are inactive members.

4 comments:

becky said...

I was wondering if you had to wear your missionary clothes on P-day? Of course i guess yesterday wasnt your P-day. I cant see what the treat is your eating? Treats are alwasy good but I'm gonna try and be good with very little treats this week, at least till David's wedding. We will see how that goes...

Shannon said...

Looks like fun! I am glad that you have a new camera so that we can follow along on your adventures. And I am also wondering what you are eating?

Shareen said...

I have a couple of friends from Germany here, and they all talk fondly of those pretzels. Your volksfest looks fun.

Shannon said...

I'll take a pass on the Lederhosen. Rick Steves says that Europeans don't wear shorts. That shorts are an American thing. Apparently he didn't go to Volksfest.

Kurt