Thursday, August 20, 2009

BEAUTIFUL ROTHENBURG

Welcome to a picture tour of Rothenburg, probably the most photographed city in Germany.  It is the quaintest of the quaint cities, in most people's opinions.  It is one of the top cities to visit in Germany.  We drove down on our last P day, probably took a little more than 2 hours.  We didn't visit any of the museums, mostly walked around the lovely old city that is within the old city wall.  We will still have things to do here next time we come.  As usual, my pictures are in a rather random order.


We could have climbed the 200 plus stairs to the top of this tower and gotten a nice view of the city, but we didn't.
Just a cute gastehaus.  (guest house)
The town hall in the main town market square.  They have a wonderful Christmas market here that we will want to be sure to come to in December.
Such cute narrow streets.
Brian in front of the gate to the gardens.  At one time there was a castle here, but it burned down so now the gardens are located on the spot.
In the back is the old city wall that goes around the city.  Built, I believe, in the 13th century.  Something else for us to do next time is walk around the wall.
Looking into the gardens


Another view of the market square.
The famous town clock.  We didn't get to see it's action.  Unfortunately, it doesn't perform on every hour.
Here is the most photographed view (minus the people) in Rothenburg.  You will see this scene everywhere on travel books, paintings in the shops, etc.
A closeup view of the house in the previous picture.  I wonder if anyone lives here.  I should have looked in a window.
Anyone for a drindle or lederhosen?   (Probably spelled wrong)
Rothenburg is famous for this pastry called Schneeball.  It is like pieces of dough (like pie dough) cute in strips and then formed into this ball.  It comes with lots of different choices to put on it--nuts, chocolate,etc.
We shared a chocolate one, and found it quite good.  Rick Stieve's book says it is over rated.
We had this wonderful view looking back on the city from the garden.
Another great view.  I like that little bridge down there.
In the garden
More garden
I just like this house.  Obviously, of newer vintage than some of the others.
I thought you might like to see a BMW scooter.
We did go into one of the more famous churches.  It had some beautiful stained glass windows.
The church is famous for this wood carving of the last supper.  It was done by one of Germany's most famous wood carvers.
A close up view.  This is different than most views of the Last Supper.  Christ is not in the center.  Judas is the figure in the middle holding his bag of money.  Christ is offering him a piece of bread.
Opps, we already saw this one.
Just another cute street.
They have some interesting signs for their shops.
This is one of the entrances into the old part of the city.

Well, I'm sure you have seen enough.  I took lots of pictures and my camera battery run out before we were through so I could have taken more.  

Auf Wiedersehen

6 comments:

Shareen said...

Oh, it's so pretty. I remember loving this town when we toured. Now I'm trying to picture how entertained my girls will be by such things. I'm glad you guys are able to fit in so many fun trips. How long does it take to get there from your town?

Shannon said...

Looking at these pictures, it is easy to see why the Grimms were inspired to fill their fairy tales with gardens. It is hard to believe that people (you!) live with that architecture and quaint beauty every day! (And I have to say, as much as I like watching Rick Steves travel programs, I don't care what he says - I am trying one of those Schneeballs!)

Unknown said...

wow. those pictures look amazing. you are so lucky to get so many neat places to see every week and that you don't have to travel too far to see them.

becky said...

Thanks for all the pictures. I don't know about you but it is a chore for me to load a lot of pictures on my blog, I only do 3-4 at a time and even then sometimes it would fail and I would have to try again!

Julia Kelly said...

All the pictures look straight out of a fairy tale. I just love all the architecture and the beautiful flowers. I want one of those schneeballs as well! :)

Shannon said...

We will definitely have to visit there when we come.

Don't worry about what Rick Steves says- he's a communist.

Kurt