Saturday, December 5, 2009

NURNBERG CHRISTKINDLEMARKT PART I


We had an enjoyable day seeing, tasting and enjoying all the sights of the Christmas market with Christa and Beldon.

There was a kinder market  for the little ones.

It might be hard to tell from this picture, but this was a really cool two-story carousel.

We had to taste almost everything.  This is a waffle on a stick dipped in chocolate.

This display shows the most famous of the treats. Nurnberg is famous for its lubkuchen.  As you can see there are many varieties, shapes and flavors.  It resembled gingerbread, but not exactly.


Yes, it was cold.  Elder Toolson and I bought something there to keep our ears warm.

There were, of course, lots of displays and booths to entice us to buy.

More goodies to try.


At the noon hour the church clock opened up and the little figures came out and played music for us.

These types of nativity and other scenes are what Germany is famous for.  They do lots of very cool things of wood.  I didn't buy a nativity but some really cute wooden figures called "smokers". I'll post a picture of them later and you can see my apartment decorations (what there is of them).

 Continue on for more pictures.

6 comments:

Julia Kelly said...

I want to go! Looks so fun!..and cold!

Shannon said...

These pictures are amazing. They kind of remind me of that time we went to Whistler with you guys a few years ago; I always think of that as the ultimate Christmas trip because of the snow and cute little shops. I would definitely love to be with you!

Shareen said...

That does look so fun & Christmasy walking around and sampling and seeing all the fun booths.

Unknown said...

that looks absolutely delightful! I want one of those nativities. . .how much is it to ship it here?? probably a lot, huh?

Well, glad you had such a fun time.

Linda Toolson said...

Kristie, I could ship it through the Durtschi's APO so the postage wouldn't be so much, and the prices are as varied as the size and the detail involved. But I would think you would have to spend $100.00 for a small one. But I haven't looked at other places so maybe the prices differ. Nurnberg might be more expensive than other more out-of-the way places.

Jaime said...

Sounds like a fabulous market. All those goodies look delicious & I love Brother Toolson's expression with his heart shaped chocolate dipped waffle.