Wednesday, June 17, 2009

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

I heard something on the radio today that made an impression on me so decided to pass it along to see what you think.

I was listening to Dr. Laura (I don't hear her often, but it happened to be on the radio as I was coming home today) and this conversation took place. I woman called her to ask her how she got motivated to exercise. Dr. Laura said motivation has nothing to do with it. Sometimes we say to ourselves, "I don't feel like doing this or that" whatever it might be. She said you don't exercise because of motivation. You do it because of determination. You do things that need doing even if you "don't feel like it" because of grit or determination. I think this could apply to lots of things we don't really feel like doing.

I liked that. What do you think?

3 comments:

Julia Kelly said...

I'm not a Dr. Laura listener, but I think I'm going to have to agree with her. It makes sense to me, although I've never thought of it that way before.

I must say being pregnant and working out is hard. It takes determination....I definately haven't been too motivated, thats for sure!

Shareen said...

That reminds me of a plaque Sister Nash had. It was phrased more eloquently than I can remember it - something like - Character is when you keep your resolutions long after the moment of inspiration you made them in has passed. Ok, it was phrased lots better than that, but hopefully you get the idea. I could use a lot more motivation, determination & character, I'm sure.

Shannon said...

That is an interesting thought... I like it. When I am "determined" I usually have more tenacity than when I am "motivated". Motivation is fleeting - especially regarding exercise. Thanks for sharing!